Monday, August 28, 2006

Exes and Miss America

Today was quite possibly one of the weirdest days ever. My day started by me getting grilled in my land use class. It sucked, but fortunately I had done all of the reading. Then I get an email from my mom about a woman who sits behind her and my dad every Sunday in church. Yesterday they were talking to her about me and how I am in law school etc. She is a partner at a pretty big firm in the area, and tells my parents to have me get in touch with her about a summer job. My mom sends me the contact info, and I actually have an interview with the firm this Friday. I go to send her an email and figure it would be a good idea to tell her the name of the person interviewing me, so I sign into my law school account, and lo and behold, this woman is actually the one interviewing me. Good luck for me? Too good to be true...

Later in the day, I went to my mom's office to pick some stuff up and quickly see a doctor about my tonsils, where it was decided that they are indeed infected again and I have to start taking medicine once again. At least I'll be getting them out eventually; these ones are seriously defective... did the good luck really wear off so fast? On my way out of the hospital, I am chatting it up with this middle-aged woman who loves me and works at the front desk, and who walks up but Miss America. I swear. She even let the receptionist try her crown on and I took a picture of the two of them. She was nice and pretty, but skinny as hell. I wanted to buy her a Big Mac - there's even a McDonald's right in the hospital. (What cheers sick kids up better than a Happy Meal anyway?...well other than a visit from Miss America).

So after my little Miss America run-in, I get a phone call from my ex-boyfriend. For those of you who don't know about this comical situation, the last time we spoke was months ago, and it was anything but amicable. He called me a bitch who dressed like a snob; I laughed at his insecure new girlfriend (dubbed Fatty McSweatpants, and yes I know that is mean), told him dumping him was the best decision I ever made, and to have a nice life. Obviously, I was shocked to see he was calling. For some reason, I got this bad feeling like something was really wrong and actually answered the call. He said "Hi Meg, I know we haven't talked in a while, but I was just wondering if I could have my water filter back". We used to hike together often, and I do still have his water filter along with some other hiking equipment which he did not ask for back. I answered him mostly with one word responses, telling him I don't live at home but I could get it to him eventually and then hung up. I can't believe he called me to ask for a $50 water filter back. Quite possibly the most pathetic excuse to talk to someone ever, unless you value clean water above your dignity. If he was hoping for a real conversation, he was looking in the wrong place - snobby bitches don't do ex-boyfriends. The good ole you-have-my-water-filter trick? He honestly thought I would fall for that? What's next? The Trojan horse? I bet Miss America would fall for it though; too bad she's way too pretty for Mr. Water Filter

No comments: