Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Salvation

My soul is in need of salvation these days. I don't do a whole lot wrong per se; I just don't do a whole lot right. I used to go to church every Sunday. I'm Catholic but don't agree with a lot of the church's views. Regardless, there is something comforting to me about the ancientness of the mass, imagining my great-great grandmother performing the same rituals. This past Palm Sunday, which by the way is the longest mass of the year because the entire Passion of the Christ is recited at mass (the story detailing Jesus' last days), I go to mass alone hungover as hell. The church is packed. I sit between a really old dude and a young family, and I reeked of booze. Every time we stood up I felt like I was going to pass out. Then the Passion starts. No joke, we get to the part where the crowd shouts “Crucify him!” and I have to get up and run out of church to go puke up the jager shots I took the night before. I did grab a palm on the way out to prove to my parents I really went to church, but it doesn't matter - I'm going to hell.

No comments: