Monday, August 07, 2006

Peanuts

Remember the voices of the grown-ups in the Peanuts movies? That is exactly what I have sounded like for the past couple days. My two deaf cousins make more audible sentences than I do. The good news is 1. I am not allergic to bars, and 2. the pain medicine is awesome. The bad news is I probably have to get my tonsils taken out. My ENT is a family friend and a great doctor, but he works out of a hospital in ghetto North Philly. The waiting room is worse than the DMV - all kinds of characters. Today entailed a woman who felt the need to spit every couple of minutes right on to the floor, a middle-aged crack addict who didn't seem so happy to be there, a really really overweight woman with no teeth, some dude with a huge tumor on his neck who couldn't answer a single one of the (not-very-pleasant) receptionist's questions, and then me with my retarded voice. Overall, not such a great trip to the hospital. At one point I had at least 3 different people's fingers in my mouth at the same time. I am glad my tonsils are such a spectacle, guess there aren't too many cadavors with tonsillitis for these guys to check out (slightly reassuring). I am back on the roids and antibiotics in addition to the narcotics, but this time I'm definitely not going to booze too - I'll stick with Jello and chicken broth for now.

No comments: