Sunday, January 28, 2007

Sitcom

One of my good friends recently told me that my life is significantly more like a sitcom than a "real life." The more I thought about it, the more I think she might be right. Crazy stuff happens in my life. Weird coincidences abound - the unusual has become usual. Just in the past week or so I can think of a bunch of examples. I went to a doctor's appointment in North Philly and while walking back to the subway station I randomly run into the "Meathead". I didn't have my glasses on, so I was definitely staring at him awkwardly long. I got hit on by an almost 40 year-old man with multiple children (remind me to add ex-wives and children to the dealbreaker list). On the bus, I sat behind a craaazy couple, the woman kept saying to the man "what are you going to do about it, hit me?" When they got up, she tapped me on the shoulder and said "He's too much of a pussy to hit me anyway." I just stared at her. I lost my shoe in the subway station, but some lady found it and gave it back to me. A guy I used to find attractive was wearing a leather driving (Mr. Huxtable-style) hat at the bar on Friday night. Then one of my friends decided to make fun of said hat. I laughed excessively, only before realizing the hat and it's wearer were standing right next to us and heard everything. (I am fully aware my soul is hell bound).

Then Saturday night a cute guy was talking to me at the bar, and the only person in the whole world that we both know just so happens to be the guy I was most recently hooking up with. Later that night, I went to an after-hours place with some friends but decided to leave before them. After weathering multiple crude comments being yelled from passersby, I finally got a cab which a random stranger decided to share with me. The stranger proceeded to ask me 2.3 million questions, then told me his entire life story including his recent decision to start seeing a psychiatrist, paid the entire cab fare and gave me his business card (which I promptly discarded in the first trashcan I passed.) I woke up this morning to a text message from one of my brothers, who presumably had not yet gone to bed from the night before, that said only "Morning Large Marge" and spent a few minutes wondering how I have any confidence at all having grown up with 4 brothers, then was exhausted from thinking and went back to sleep.

Interestingly, this past week has been one of the more normal weeks I've had recently... I guess I have become used to my life being sitcom-esque.

No comments: