Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Mental Telepathy

If you know me at all, you know I enjoy a good challenge - I used to be satisfied with a mean game of Trivial Pursuit or The New York Times crossword puzzle, but as a single girl, "challenge" has taken on a whole new meaning. Never backing down from a dare, I have given out my screenname to potential suitors instead of my phone number (and a few not so smooth guys actually IMed me...). I have also played that game in the bar, where a friend picks out a guy and I have to get him to come talk to me without leaving my chair. I have conquered bar flirting - the challenge is gone. (OK, I know that sounds arrogant, but guys are easy. End of story). My roommate and I always talk about mental telepathy as a form of flirting - I call it the double black diamond of flirting, difficult to master and probably not even worth trying. But never backing down from a challenge, I decided to give it a try with a guy I see every day in the law library. I think it was really working, we progressed from no contact whatsoever to a nod in passing in the hallway to a quick smile from across the library. But then the weather got cold, and my mental telepathy experiment traded his cute flip flops in for WHITE SNEAKERS! Have I been sending out bad vibes? (I guess we'll know if he comes in tomorrow with a T.O. jersey and a visor...) So I guess the world will have to wait to see if I can handle the double black diamond because if mental telepathy really does work, this kid thinks I am a huge bitch.

No comments: