Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Doctor, Doctor

I don't generally have anything against doctors. I work at a hospital; I have doctors as bosses and family friends; and a good number of my friends are going to be doctors some day. But there is one thing that really bothers me - the title of "doctor". Inside the hospital walls and within any other sort of professional setting, to a certain extent I understand calling people "Dr. Smith" or "Dr. Jones" etc., even though the the social workers, nurses, accountants, whoever are all called by their first names. But outside of a professional setting, since when is it normal to refer to people by the level of their education?? I doubt I'll ever be able to convince anyone to call me Counselor or Esquire. My brother has an MBA; should I start calling him Master Butler? Or Master Mike? Maybe I'll start refering to my younger teacher brother as Bachelors + 15 Dan. One of my friends used to date this guy with a G.E.D, and I don't think even I could have gotten away with calling him GED Anthony....

No comments: